Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Heartwood

Yesterday I took my mum out to lunch! We stopped in at Heartwood Bakery and Cafe, a cute little spot at 6250 Quinpool Road. Now open 10-10 seven days a week! It was  taken over this year by new owners and the entire place has a fresh new look and a yummy revamped menu!!! (now licensed too)
Cosy and welcoming, Heartwood serves up fresh organic, local (as much as possible) vegetarian food. They also sell their delicious bread (wheat free varieties too) baked daily in their wee kitchen AND cookies and sweets.
I had a hard time choosing what to order for my lunch because everything sounded so good and refreshingly for me, there were a TON of choices for this new Vegan. Every day they also  have different meal specials, one of which is their "wild card". Yummy creations that  the chef whips up daily depending on what is fresh, tasty and seasonal in the kitchen! Gluten free options available too.

 I finally decided on a lentil roasted squash burger with a spicy cashew mayo served on their fresh foccacia bread.YUM! Steamed greens on the side too.....BONUS!
 Mum had a tomato avocado sandwich with some pesto on top!
The walls are covered with amazing metal creations by Joel Sullivan, so it is also a place to come and enjoy the art as well as the food...... It was busy when we were there, a good sign on a Monday:)
I was really full after my meal but saw this........and wanted to have a closer look.......
Whoa!  AND cookies of all kinds too! Heaven. Means I have to come back
My mum loved her meal too and said she plans on making this healthy place one of her regular hangouts:)
 Yes, I would agree. Pop by for a visit! This restaurant has been given new life!
We finished off with a pot of tea.......ah..... 
Oh, and all of these pictures were taken with my iphone! Not too bad huh? I forgot my camera and had to make do. Not quite as crisp but better than I expected:)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I still have to try this place out! Now that it has a more vegan friendly menu, I will be sure to go :)

aliceinparis said...

Kirsten~ You will be in heaven!

Prairie Jill said...

Ah, indeed! Yet another reason to visit Halifax again!
Love the iphone pictures - they look great.

FoundProdigalDaughter said...

I must get myself over there...it sounds like heaven! Maybe I can talk my mom into a nice lunch or supper date soon. Thank you! :)

Mairéad said...

I lovely places like that - the food looks delicious and healthy.