Friday, June 21, 2013

Midsummer Night's Eve


This day is magical to me. Not sure why exactly. I suppose Shakespeare might have had something to do with it. The longest day of the year, the turning point, the top of the mountain of  light, a day of possibilies..... I was in the Halifax Public Gardens yesterday and the world was indeed green and glowing.....magical for sure!
All over the world people are celebrating Midsummer's Eve, the wonderful summer solstice.  I just found out that people believed that golden-flowered mid-summer plants, especially Calendula Calendula, and St. John's Wort, had miraculous healing powers and they picked them on this night.
 These two benches in the gardens are everyone's favourites. Something about the cloak of leaves that protects them from the world I think. You really feel as though you are in a place apart from from time when you sit here and listen to the fountain splashing away, while hidden under the green canopy.
 Yep, late June is a beautiful time of year. Late Autumn is the other favourite of mine.
So, inspired by this time of year I painted something a little different. Midsummer's Eve. 24 x 36" Drop me an email if you want more info:)

2 comments:

Julie said...

What a lovely post. Great images, both the nature ones and your version :)

aliceinparis said...

Thanks so much Julie!