Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Curried Lentil Use What You Have Soup

Well there's a blizzard blowing outside so why not make soup! I haven't posted a recipe here in a long time:) Heck, I haven't really posted ANYTHING here in a long time, so I hope you enjoy:)

This is a make it up as you go  soup. There is really no recipe, just use what you have in your house. Here's what I used today... 1 large chopped carrot, 1 large onion chopped (not in above pic) 4 cloves garlic minced, 3 Tablespoons curry powder, 1 bay leaf, 2 kaffir lime leaves ( I got a bag of them at a local Indian grocery store, they impart a lovely flavour but not necessary), 3 cardamon pods, 1/2 cup of red lentils, 1 cup of lentils rice and bean mix ( they were in a bag together), 1 Tablespoon grated ginger, 1 cup of frozen mixed veggies, 6 cups of veggie broth.
First I sauteed the onions in my new Christmas present cast iron pot, you can use oil but I don't...I just stir them and as they start to stick I add a bit of broth to unstick them. When they are golden, stop.
Next step is to just dump in the rest of the ingredients,  and add the rest of the broth
Throw in a handful of mixed frozen veggies. Of course you can add some fresh veggies, anything goes. I just didn't have anything on hand today.
Add some grated fresh ginger and simmer for about 40 minutes. If you are lucky enough to find some coconut milk in your cupboard you can add that too:)
Et voila!! So yummy !! I am slurping on it as I write this post. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Maria Norcia Santillanes said...

Hey there, I just found your blog on bloglovin'... great job. I've added you to follow.
Great soup as well ... I could live on soup alone and usually make a pot every Sunday.

aliceinparis said...

Maria Norcia Santillanes~ Thanks! I have always loved soups too. I love that you can make them all so different!

Rubye Jack said...

I've never been much of one for soup, but this one looks to be more like a stew and is so loaded with nutrition I'd have to be happy with it.

Dasha said...

Wow! That soup sounds absolutely scrummy. And I have the ingredients in the pantry.......

Lily said...

This looks amazing! ! ! ! !