Thursday, October 21, 2010

things change


My friend Marilyn posted this great link to an article by Molly Hoyne all about how the growth of the internet has changed blogging, how we are all marketing something... and how you should learn to read between the lines.

She has divided the bloogers into stereotypes and I would probably fit into Category 1, Domestic Goddess:) ( ha) Her words ring true. What you read here on my blog is only a fraction of my "real" world. The words and images I put on this page are what I want to tell you, not neccesarily what you want to know. I don't write about my headaches, my worries, my clothes getting a bit tight around the waist, the sink of dirty dishes and on and on.

I sit here and talk to you about the things that are pleasing me at the moment. Things I want to share. Not as much as I used to but still... I use this place as a bit of an escape, a place to slow down and enjoy what is interesting and good. Yes, I sell things here too. That is how I earn my living and thank goodness for the wonderful internet, linking me to all of you! It allows me to share my work with the world. Without it, I might have taken a different path.

Anyway...worth a read for sure!

Also worth visiting is Steve McCurry's blog. Enjoy his AMAZING photography! Latest post is mothers and their children from all over the world. He is the National Geographic photographer that took the picture of the Afghan girl with the stunning green eyes, many years ago.

-Steve McCurry

P.S. Leave a comment here to win two vintage cookbooks:)

8 comments:

Ronnie said...

Love your photo choice.
There are still plenty of blogs that journal one's everyday life. Some delight me, others downright scare me. I follow a few. I didn't realize how many until I tried to add Marilyn and found I'd reached my 300 blog limit! I'm having a really bad hair day. Wanna hear about it?

leendadll said...

I still remember that Afghan girl photo on the cover of Nat'l Geographic!

I'll have to read the article to see where I fit in!

Unknown said...

I consider myself in a blogger category where I share insights, inspirations, challenges and gratitude. If I am selling something it is the encouragement to look for small gifts, express your authenticity and that no one is alone. Sometimes I share the silly, the weird and the miraculous. I love every blog I read.

♥namaste♥

Unknown said...

I really love Molly Hoyne's blog Stratejoy! She has a team of bloggers that write each week about their Quarter-Life Crises and as someone who is going through what I would call a QLC at this moment, their words and insights are really eye-opening and helpful. I actually missed this post but I'm going to go back and read it!!
Completely unrelated question: are the Nocturne photo booth photos up online yet?? I was not sure where to get them...(my friend's sister put her email down for the link and she's totally unreliable, frankly lol

The Words Crafter said...

The article was interesting, to say the least. Thanks for the hook up.

I didn't see a stereotype for me. Hmmm. Wonder what that says about me...

I'm pretty open about many things....even the ho-hum. Like some other rebels out there, I feel it's my place, my space...and I can write what I want, just because I need to for myself. I do keep the fact that I have readers in mind and try to vary it up and make it interesting by posting more funny or thoughtful things....

A provocative post and I loved the photos.

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

very true...i think in most of life we only present what we want to and hide behind a mask to so many. those pictures are captivating, especially the last one...incredible!

Marilyn said...

Shelagh, love the photo on this post. and, yes, Molly's post was definitely food for thought.

kath said...

Thanks for the links!