Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Le Studio


Ta dah! The view from my new painting spot....at least for the next few months and then we shall see how it goes. In December, I am going to be part of a group show and needed a place to paint larger works, so one morning I decided to go on a hunt for the perfect wee studio space downtown.
I found it in a building on the corner of Sackville and Barrington Street. Above a wine bar, a sex shop and across the street from Starbucks. Ha ha. It is full of light with a north and east exposure. I LOVE it.
The paintings I am working on at the moment are 3' x 4'. A big change for me and such a different way of working. I have to stand back to really see them. Bigger brushes, more paint and more time. Having a dedicated work space is very freeing. I can leave a painting mess, come back to it and just pick up where I left off. When I want a break, I just sit back and watch the city flow beneath me:)
 My mascot:) Don't ask me why, I just liked the look of him and up on the wall he went.

8 comments:

Angela Giles Klocke said...

How exciting! You might never want to let it go. :D

Flaxen Curls said...

That is really, really awesome, Shelagh! It looks so bright and welcoming. :) I can't believe a place like that is hiding up above Barrington st!

Flaxen Curls said...

That is really, really awesome, Shelagh! It looks so bright and welcoming. :) I can't believe a place like that is hiding up above Barrington st!

Kerry O'Gorman said...

I've just finished cleaning up my studio and readying it for winter projects. It is so grounding to have a place to go and create and leave a project so you can come back to it with fresh eyes. I used to hate to have to 'put things away'. Have fun in that light and inspiring place!

Micheline said...

Holy cow! What a great space. Congratulations.

stampernancy@hotmail.com said...

great spot and seems to me that Deserres is not far away - enjoy!

Laurita said...

Above a wine bar, a sex shop and across the street from Starbucks - sounds like the perfect location. haha. I hope the new place serves you well. Have fun!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Way to go Shelagh! It looks like a beautiful space. And I'm looking forward to seeing the larger canvas.