Wednesday, September 19, 2012

night out

I went out on the town the other night and had a grand time! I was given tickets to go see Sweeny Todd at Neptune Theatre which was a nice treat, so decided to have dinner out first. We started the evening at the Wooden Monkey. This is the view from our table out over Argyle Street. A friend of mine ( hi Jenna!)  said I must try their Seitan Donair. I was a bit skeptical but wow! was it ever delicious. Hard to describe but surprisingly close to the real thing! That is it in the background. (Seitan is a wheat gluten product, first time I've tried it). A meat free donair, who knew?
We then strolled over to the theatre feeling very stuffed and satisfied. This is Neptune's 50th anniversary year. It is where I had my first job when I was 16, as an usherette. Our uniforms were horrible. Navy blue polyester sleeveless mini shifts with gold lame jackets! Ouch. 
I wasn't sure about seeing this Musical as the subject matter is a bit gruesome and weird but I am so glad I did!
 It was fabulous! I enjoyed everythiing about it. The set was small and versatile and at one point served as a screen for a cleverly done back story to the play. You will have to see it to understand what I mean.
The two main characters, Shane Carty who plays Sweeny Todd and Shelley Simester, Mrs Lovett are strong and compelling. Just loved the interaction between the two of them. The music and singing were superb. The ensemble worked well together. Really can you tell I enjoyed it? Go see it.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Not directly on point, but I read on cbc.ca today that a cat is running for mayor of Halifax. Too cool! If he wins, you should paint his official portrait.

Elizabeth said...

I'm going to see Sweeney tomorrow! I'm a big fan of Sondheim shows. Saw Dalhouse Opera's Sweeney Todd last year -- it was amazing. Looking forward to this one. I also have three different versions on CD (original cast from the '80s, concert version with Neil Patrick Harris as Toby and the Johnny Depp movie). Yes, I am a show geek :)