Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fragrant Sweet Curried Rice, Kale & Chickpeas

Yum! Had this for supper last night with a salad and for lunch today! I got the original recipe from Healthy Girls' Kitchen but adapted it to my tastes. I like more flavour. You can double this for a potluck, delicious! Bonus....it is FAT FREE!
Fragrant Curried Sweet Rice with Kale & Chickpeas  
Ingredients.....
1.5 cups  brown rice (I used a mixture of wild, red and brown)
3 cups of veggie broth plus extra for sauteeing ( I used a box of Pacifico)
2.5 Tbsp of mild curry powder
1 T onion powder
1.5 tsp  chili powder
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika ( use regular if that's what you have)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 large onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced ( I think I used 4)
3/4 cup shredded,chopped kale (cut out the spine)
1/2  cup pitted dates, chopped finely (you could use raisins)
! 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas drained (I used Eden brand, no BPA)
Juice of 1/2 lemon ( I also used some orange juice too, but that is optional)
salt to taste
hot sauce to taste
 Method...
1. Put the rice and all spices into a large pot with the broth and cook according to the directions for the rice.( Usually simmer for about 25-35 minutes)
2. Chop onion, carrot and kale and dates.
3. In a skillet, coat the bottom with veggie broth and heat. When starting to simmer, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, add the carrot and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Add extra broth to keep from sticking. You can turn it down a bit and then add the dates and kale.
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the drained chickpeas, onion/carrot/kale mixture and lemon (+orange) juice.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. salt and pepper and hot sauce etc.

Really tasty! I'm sure you could use squash, or sweet potato or maybe toss in some green beans. This is one of those dishes that is easy to modify!

6 comments:

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

This looks delicious. I'm always on the hunt for good looking veggie dishes! You may like the one I posted last night!

Happy New Year!

Mary

Unknown said...

Looks great! Just one question. The ingredientss list calls for three cups of broth. Is this all used in the sautéing?

aliceinparis said...

The broth is used to cook the rice. The extra is for sautéing. I'll fix it in the blog post.

Unknown said...

Thanks! My name is Bonnie by the way, not unknown! Every time I sign in on google I list my name and then get posted as unknown -makes me feel like an anonymous blog troll which i'm not! Love your blog :)

Judith said...

Thanks - I'm still harvesting kale from my Nova Scotian garden.

Alice said...

ooooo YUM. I have Butternut squash and chickpea curry planned for this week... might adapt this! x