Sunday, June 17, 2012

Point Pleasant Park

One of my favourite places in the city. Point Pleasant Park.  I used to come here often but after Hurricane Juan I was too upset with the damage to visit for a long time. Today after being cooped up inside at the market all weekend I had to do some "forest bathing":)
I have re-discovered this park again this last year. It is coming back to itself. Healing. This tree looked beautiful to me, like a totem or a surreal creature reaching for the sky.
This beautiful Copper Beech on Cable Road is one of my fave trees in the park. There are quite a few of them scattered throughout the forest. There is another up near the heather patch I must check on next time I am there.
Look closely and you will see a hidden Blue Jay.
Cable Road again. This is the nicest walk as far as I am concerned. It runs along the NorthWest Arm and late in the afternoon/early evening the light is beautiful. There are often sailboats gliding by and in the early morning the rowing teams are out on the still water. There was a little squirrel who raced ahead of me on this fence, stopping at each post until I came closer.
Not sure what this flowering tree was.(Edited: It is English Hawthorn, Crataegus monogyna.Thanks Marian!)
Back up on the main road.into the park

We are so lucky to have this patch of green at the tip of our city!

8 comments:

Marian said...

Hi Shelagh,

The flowering tree is English Hawthorn, Crataegus monogyna.

Lovely essay, as usual.

Marian

Eco Yogini said...

i wasn't here when Hurricane Juan hit, but i've seen before and after photos....

we go running in the park (just along where you took photos actually!) and it's so nice to see all the new growth!

Donna Laprade said...

Looks lovely! Would you believe that I haven't been to Point Pleasant Park since my high school grad year. (26 yrs ago) Must change that.

aliceinparis said...

~Thanks Marian!! There are many varieties of tree in the park.I should bring a book with me sometime.

~Eco Yogini, It is very heartwarming to see how quickly it is returning to a beautiful place! That road is such a pretty one.

~Donna,I can hardly believe that! You MUST go for a walk there.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

It looks lovely from where I sit!... and I love your phrase.. Forest bathing. I know what you mean!

margie said...

beautiful...did take me a moment to find the blue jay!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Yes, when those storms do their destruction it is heart breaking. I am glad things are returning to normal again!

I have always wanted to visit Nova Scotia...and hope to one day. ♥♥♥

susanna said...

What a beautiful, restful place, Shelagh. I'd love to go there one day, especially that part of the walk where you can see the sailboats on the water. I'm impressed, btw, that you can identify so many trees. Thank you for the view in your part of the world.