Monday, March 14, 2016

15 Min. Corn/Veggie Chowder!

Ok. Quick comfort food. Something to tuck into this week's arsenal of meals:) My version is fat free and still tastes great but if you want to sauté the onion and garlic (and peppers, celery if using) in some butter or olive oil first that's fine too!

15 minute Corn/Veggie Chowder
1 carrot grated
1 large onion chopped finely 
1 large potato cubed in 1/2" squares
1 red pepper chopped finely (optional)
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped (optional)
1-2 garlic cloves minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder (I didn't have any real garlic)
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of creamed corn
Veggie broth or bullion cube
Almond milk, soy milk or regular milk.

1.Put everything except milk and creamed corn into a heavy pot. Add veggie broth or water/bullion cube to barely cover the top of veggies. 
2. Cover and simmer until potatoes and veg are cooked.(about 10-15 min)
3. Add creamed corn, salt and pepper to taste and heat.
3. I add the milk at the end, not much,  just to make it the consistency I like. I sometimes just leave it up whomever I'm serving it to to add the milk directly to their bowl instead; my daughter prefers real milk and I like almond milk:) 
You could  not add the milk at all to make it more of a brothy soup if you like. 
I add some smoked paprika and a dash of Siracha cha cha sauce to mine:). Yum. Enjoy!

No comments: