Sunday, April 4, 2010

Who is this?


Her name is Emily Forrest and I just met her today. She might not like this picture but I love it:)
She is taking on the province of Nova Scotia step by step! This summer she plans on walking the coastline of Nova Scotia, all 2995 kms of it and visiting about 80 communities. Starting day is May 13th. You can read about it on her facebook page and become a fan. Last year she walked around Prince Edward Island.

Her goals are many...
To inspire Nova Scotians to form walking groups and journey to better health and well-being.
To encourage Nova Scotians to explore and enjoy new places to walk in their communities.
To prompt people to keep track of their walks and log their steps at www.walkaboutns.ca.
To promote Heart & Stroke Walkabout for the Heart & Stroke Foundation.
To raise awareness of Brigadoon, a year-round facility being built in Nova Scotia for children and youth living with a chronic illness.

A friend of mine happened to bring Emily's facebook page to my attention and I noticed that her training walk today would bring her almost to my door and as luck would have it the timing was perfect, so I grabbed my camera and headed out the door just in time to catch her. We walked for a bit and had a great chat. She was walking from the Spring Garden Library to the Chickenburger in Bedford and back for today's training! During her walkabout she hopes to do about 40 km a day.

For those of you around the province who might be interested in hosting Emily for a night, you can contact her at Forrest Walkabout. Here are her maps and dates for the entire walkabout. can also find Emily on twitter @forrestwalk Off she goes headed to Bedford!

8 comments:

hatjunkie said...

That is inspirational. I'll see if I can find a place for her in Lunenburg.

Kathy said...

How wonderful. I have such respect for people that do so much for others! Good for her. I'll check out her Facebook page for sure!

Forrest Walkabout said...

Thanks so very much Shelagh for getting the word out and doing such a lovely piece on my journey- it was great to walk with you on such a terrific Easter Sunday and hopefully I'll get some more folks out and walking before this is all done!

Sara said...

How awesome!

Anonymous said...

Go Emily Go - proud to be from the Maritimes and to be your Mom's friend. You always loved to take off and walk, even as a toddler. Brenda in B.C.eingstri

Modern Handmade Child said...

What a fabulous undertaking! More people should do things like this. Like my kids... maybe I can send them out on LOOOOONG walks as well... LOL!

ForrestWalkabout said...

If you and your kids are anywhere near the coast, just send them out to walk with me!! Check out my schedule at FORREST WALKABOUT on facebook!

susanna said...

First of all, that is a TERRIFIC photo of Emily Forrest! Looking at it, I imagine that she has a joyful spirit. And I think it is COOL that you made the effort to meet up with her. I like your go for it attitude.