Saturday, January 29, 2011

Winter blues


Take one cold snowy day. Add 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup water and 4 cups of frozen blueberries.

Put them on to boil. Then measure two cups of flour, 4 tsps baking powder, 1/2tsp salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and cut into it 2 tablespoons of butter. Then add 1/2 cup of cold milk. Mix to make a biscuit dough. Drop spoonfuls on top of blueberries. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. No peeking.

And ta dah! Blueberry Grunt.

Recipe from Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens:) Got it for Christmas. I added a pinch of cinnamon and some orange zest. mmmm. Great antidote for a winter day.

6 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

mmmm.
i was at the market this afternoon- looked for you! but sadly, i guess you were gone for the day (or didn't go this weekend).
Next time! :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ya gotta love anything named "grunt."

Suzie Ridler said...

I have always believed blueberries have the power to fight the blues, thanks for also being a believer and wow, gorgeous!

Sue McGettigan said...

Sounds like a delicious way to brighten up a winter day!

Joy (The Herbed Kitchen) said...

Your photographs are gorgeous. i still remember the first time I had blueberry grunt, I had my misgivings as I sat in the loud and boisterous kitchen of my best friend's grandmother. My home was quiet and rather unassuming and I'd never heard of the biscuity, blueberry mess in the bowl in my hands. Until I had a bite. Ten years later I married that boy and I still harbour a secret love for blueberry grunt. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.... Those food photos are so deep.
Thank you, Shelagh!