Tuesday, August 3, 2010

weekend escapery.. part 2


Well....this was our next stop! We drove down the beautiful Lahave river from Bridgewater to get here, it is just east of the ferry. Once known as the Lahave Outfitting Company, it is now a wonderful bakery and cafe known as the Lahave Bakery, a landmark building in the area.

What I didn't realise is that Lahave at one time was the capital of New France! From 1632, when Isaac de Razilly settled on a point of land at the mouth of the LaHave River and started a colony with 300 people and built a fort here. We were French before we were English. (I did know that)

The bakery is aWONDERFUL place to stop and eat and browse and soak up the atmosphere. Downstairs is an artist's co-operative. That's my mum trying to decide what to order:)

Lots of delicious choices. They also sell bread and baked goods as well as frozen dinners and pizza! Love these hand done signs.

This is another wall full of bits and pieces. I could not help myself and took far too many pictures. Places like this thrill me and I want to capture it ALL so I can come home and savour it again.

The old wooden tables all have wee vases with fresh flowers.

We sat in the accounting room at the small table next to the heater. This is where the ledgers were kept and worked on when the business was a chandlery. I don't know if you can make it out but on the left there is a picture on the wall of the orginal room with the accounts being worked on. He has his back to this same wall.

Lunch, of course a picture! Veggie burgers on whole wheat buns freshly baked that day!

Really, I could have spent half a day taking pictures here!

This is one of the old ledgers from 1925..........

These are Eldridge's hours for a week in December. So many of the names are still "South Shore" names; Publicover, Corkum, Kaulbach, Zwicker, Whynacht, Eisenhauer, Dauphinee........

And last but not least. One of my favourite kinds of signs!

to be continued.....
Part 3 here
Part 1 here

11 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

As always, you blow me away with your incredible photography Shelagh, beautifully done! And all those details? I would want to snap them all up to. More please! I want some more!

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...you are so making me wish i was there NOW! we ate at this bakery...in fact we rode the ferry and that is when we saw our first seal...or possibly selkie...if we were lucky. looks like you had a great and tasty get-away!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And Eldridge was being paid the princely sum of 25 cents per hour!

Unknown said...

What a fun trip! Went to La Have for the first time last summer and I loved the bakery too! So many old curiosities to look at. But I think I have to say my fav thing is your mom's beautiful blue, bow purse! How cute! :)

Elizabeth said...

So great to have discovered your blog
via Susanna.
Your first photo here is a STUNNER and maybe should be painted.
Your photos have a brilliance and clarity that is really wonderful.
Greetings from too hot New York.

aliceinparis said...

Thanks everyone! It was a wonderful day for pictures and adventures:)

susanna said...

No wonder you took so many photographs - the place is amazing! You captured it perfectly. And oh how I would love to have such a cafe in my neighborhood. I could practically live there!

Sara said...

Well, you wouldn't be able to get me away for the FREE BOOKS, I can guarantee this!

Sara said...

LaHave Bakery is one of our favourite spots on the South Shore! Love, love, love the atmosphere...it's a feast for the eyes!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I lived & raised my kids in LaHave for 18 years. And I worked at the Bakery in the sweets kitchen for a summer. Odd -- but there were a number of accidents concerning imperfect butter tarts that couldn't be sold (yet had to be eaten)!

The owner and her staff are wonderful people who pride themselves on quality products. I try to get there often to stock up on the wonderful bread, treat myself to lunch and visit friends.

christina said...

this is a glorious post!! i am in love with each photo.
xo