Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wild Leek, Vegan Restaurant


A friend of mine, Kirsten Taggart, has just started living a dream of hers! She has opened a cozy Vegan restaurant and Juice Bar in Halifax called Wild Leek. A trained chef, Kirsten has had a love affair with wholesome food for years. Her blog, Kirsten's Kitchen is full of yummy recipes that showcase her special connection with good food.
Located at 2156 Windsor St. on the corner of Lawrence, Wild Leek  is sandwiched between a small variety store and a used book shop. You can't miss it. Painted bright green with two flower baskets and a lovely mural on the side of the building.
It is a tiny spot with just six tables I think, I can't exactly remember the number but it is bright and cheerful and has free wifi!
Dominating the high ceilings is an amazing light fixture, I love it!
The menu is simple with only a few basics available on a consistant basis and the rest is dependant on Kirsten's mood and what fresh produce is available and eventually, special requests:)
The day I was there I had the special which was a Shepherd's Pie,  (lentil base and mashed potato topping) slathered with gravy,and a yummy salad.
My mum who was my dining companion had the broccoli and caramalized onion quiche which I have to say was DELICIOUS! Hard to make it look pretty but you get the gist:)
Wild Leek also makes their own seitan and there are a few things on the menu that utilise it including their own version of Bahn Mi which is a Vietnamese sandwich.
I have to say everything I ate was yummy.Lots of dessert to choose from also. These were to die for, chocolate, pecan, peanut butter thingies...
Mum had a coconut cupcke:)
I know there are a lot of food pics here but hey....it's a restaurant. This was moist and dense and aawesome!
I haven't even touched on the juice bar side of things. Lots of choices there. One which caught my eye was "strawberry fields" Strawberry,banana,coconut and vanilla,mmm
They are open Tuesday to Saturday opening at 8am and closing at 4pm except  Friday 7pm. Friday at suppertime  Kirsten will be doing a dinner service with a lovely plated special meal. Saturday they serve Brunch!
 Pop by and say hi to Kirsten and her sidekick Andie:) Tell em I sent you!

6 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I'm so glad you highlighted this place. I wanna go -- and I loved all the pictures!

shipwrekkt said...

Omg. Seitan banh mi? Is this on the regular menu?

Eco Yogini said...

oh i know exactly where that is and I'm so excited to go!! :)

aliceinparis said...

Sancy- you will enjoy it!
Shipwrekkt- Yes it is on the regular menu:)
Eco-mmmm so nice to have more veggie resto choices

Steph said...

As a vegetarian living in Halifax, I am VERY excited this is happening. I think it will be my next meal out when I'm back from my trip in Ontario. SUPER EXCITING!!!! Can't wait to try it and maybe do a blog review too. Hehe!

leendadll said...

I'll be right there!!