Friday, September 23, 2011

My Big Day Downtown, year 2


Warning, lots of pictures up ahead!
I finally found some time to do my Big Day Downtown! This year's task was to do something you've never done before, so armed with my $100 I decided to take a stroll along Barrington Street in Halifax and visit places I've not been to before.


My first stop was Attica and I am quite amazed that I have never crossed thier doorstep!

Attica is a very cool home furnishing store that was started 16 years ago by Susanne Saul and Chris Joyce. Their first location was on Gottingen Street. I loved the feel of this store.

Some of the light fixtures were stunning. Chris designs carpets and does custom furniture work too. I walked away with a really cool little case for credit cards and ID. Not exactly what you might expect I'd pick up here but they had a wee display near the cash full of interesting things.

I strolled further down the street and was pleased to see the construction work going on in some of the buildings. Barrington Street, once the busiest shopping street in the city is undergoing a rennaisance.

This is where I found myself next!

A new store. Oddjects. Chock-a-block with interesting things. They even have a few tables where you can sit outside and enjoy the air.

Lots of stuff to look at.

Art too. These prints are by a Quebec artist Michel Williate-Battet who now calls Cape Breton home.

Dustin made me an amazing coffee. A mocha something or other. They have a small bar where you can sit.

Did I mention how delicious that coffee was?? This is what he put in it!

I purchased some of these prickly cactus plate chargers. Sort of like round table mats. I loved them!
Oddjects has also started an online ordering service and they have just opened in a few other locations.

Love the dragonfly paperweights.

Out the door and onward ho!

Hilltribe was my last stop. Another place I cannot believe I have not been into before!! They have been in business for 17 years!

The clothing is designed by the owner Victoria Raine and made in Bali. I loved the exotic feel to the shop and of course the sculptures of hands and Buddhas.

I will be coming back to do some more shopping for clothing absolutely!

My purchase here was a gorgeous hand dyed silk scarf in shades of blue and green and aqua. Wish I had taken a picture the colours are beautiful!

And that my friends, concludes my fun adventure downtown. Many thanks to the Downtown Halifax Business Commission.

10 comments:

Tammi Hayne said...

Love the paperweight too :-) Lots of interesting and funky shops in our midst. This has lit the fire under me to explore some of them as well :-)

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Lots of gorgeous things. So glad you let us in on your field trip . . . like we got to too. Hope you are well!
marsha

nycstylelittlecannoli said...

love, love the first photo...so gorgeous! these are all great shots very colorful...wonderful post!!

hatjunkie said...

Sheilagh, Halifax is lucky to have you.

Suzie Ridler said...

One day you have to take me downtown shopping, that was amazing and I loved all the photographs. Stunning as usual Shelagh, nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Alice, That's delicious. I was just in NYC and only took a photo of a photo of my doctor and his secretary.
-for the most part. I think no photos allowed in the New Museum. Didn't think of it when we went shopping. Bought nothing except Derrida's Beast and Sovereign, but I do have a deep blue/aqua scarf;
would love to compare the scarves!

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm in Halifax 'til Wednesday.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

What fun! I don't get into Victoria much, so when I do I get to discover all kinds of places which have popped up without me knowing. Nothing like being a tourist in your own home town.

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

looks to be a very fun and interesting place indeed. sounds like you snapped up a few neat things too!

Zara H. said...

Interesting places, full of beautiful things! Bookmarking all...if I happen to be in your place one day;)