Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Savoury Oatmeal


This is a picture of my "savoury oats". I LOVE it. So healthy and filling. It is a yummy breakfast or snack or even a quick meal if you want. I didn't have any sundried tomatoes to put into this so it it does not look like what the recipe indicates. You can add what you want really.....I like mine quite dry but again you can add more liquid to make it slurpier.

I learned all about the benefits of oatmeal from Debbie over at Happy Healthy Long Life, she is one of my bloggy gurus. There is also a recipe for pumpkin oatmeal that includes raisins and pumpkin pie spices over there too.

Here is the recipe for savoury....

Savoury oatmeal ala "Healthy Librarian"

Makes 4 servings. Cooking Time: maybe 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup of steel cut oats

2 cups of water (you could substitute 1 or 2 cups of vegetable broth for the water)

1 cup of non-dairy milk. She used Eden-brand enriched soy milk ( I used almond)

2 TBS. nutritional yeast (this is what gives it the "cheezy taste") It's high in B vitamins--click here

2 dashes of turmeric (this gets it nice & yellow)

1 1/2 tsp. of Bone Suckin' Sauce Seasoning & Rub (This has brown sugar, chili pepper, paprika, garlic, onion, & bell pepper) Could sub any Cajun or Southwest Seasoning you like) *I used steak seasoning, it's all I had:)

a few grinds of fresh black pepper

a pinch or two of chipotle powder (optional) You can get it at the Bulk Barn

1 oz. of julienned sun-dried tomatoes (She uses the brand called California Sun-Dried because they're already julienned, they're nice & soft & need no soaking.)

About a handful (5) dried shiitake mushrooms, broken into pieces & rinsed. Use any dried mushrooms you like.

2 1/2 ounces of fresh baby spinach, rinsed per serving of oatmeal!! I make enough oatmeal for 4 servings & each serving will need to be topped with 2.5 ounces of spinach.

1. Mix the oats, water, milk (or veggie broth), seasonings, tomatoes, & mushrooms into a pot.

2. Heat to boiling. Watch carefully, and turn it down to a simmer once it starts to boil. Stir occasionally, and check back in about 10 minutes. You'll want the water absorbed, and the oats nice & creamy.

3. When the oats are done, microwave one serving of spinach briefly, until it's soft, but not mushy. Depending upon your microwave this could take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

4. Top one serving of oatmeal with the softened spinach & mix. Enjoy!

5. Store the rest of the oatmeal (3 servings) in the fridge, and in the morning heat up 1 serving topped with the spinach in the microwave.

Check out this powerhouse of a breakfast! A double dose of nitric oxide boosting power from oats & spinach! Crazy how much nutrition is one breakfast bowl!

5 comments:

{oc cottage} said...

WOW! I have never thought of eating oatmeal like that!

m ^..^

Joy Hall said...

I love steel cut oats! Yours look yummy!

Jen Worden said...

have you tried quinoa like that? I now prefer it to steel cut oats for breakfast. higher protein too.

aliceinparis said...

oc cottage~ You should give it a whirl:)
Joy Hall~ They are great for a quick snack too.
Jen~ I must try it with quinoa, love quinoa!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelagh, I love that you are going lighter on the animal kingdom for your meals! I've finally tried coconut oil (you can do tons of stuff with it) and thought I'd pass on the tip. I got mine at Natural Selections on the Bedford Hwy, great people there!