Thursday, January 7, 2010

lunch and a prayer


This is Morris East. I have been wanting to visit for a while. It is a small place tucked away on a side street off Barrington. My neighbor and I have been trying to get out to lunch for weeks and finally we made it.

The food was really good. I had a sweet potato/squash soup and a toasted avacado, olive tapenade, roasted tomato and swiss cheese sandwich. Can you say yum? My lunch partner had one of their wonderous pizzas and it was AMAZING! Wood fired pear with maple aioli,blue cheese, roasted pork loin and charred onion. They are known for their Italian wood fired oven which was brought over from Europe. As much as I enjoyed my sandwich, next time I am trying one of their pizzas!

Sadly, our lunch concluded with the funeral of another neighbor from just down the street. A charming, sweet man who always had a cheery word and a smile for us. He was eighty years old and up until just a few weeks ago went every morning for a walk in Point Pleasant Park. I'll miss him

Mary's Cathedral Basilica. I took these after the service. I am not really a super religious person but these sanctuaries of prayer inspire me. I believe most religions inspire their followers towards the same goals of becoming kinder, more thoughtful, selfless individuals and I think there are many paths to get there. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. If everyone lived by this, just imagine......

8 comments:

Anne Chisholm said...

I love Morris East - best pizza in Halifax.

Sad to learn about your friend. Life is so fragile, we need to savour every moment.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!... and yummy food.
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Marilyn said...

that cafe looks amazing! so sorry to hear of the passing of your neighbor. and i'm with you on the churches...i'm not religious, but sometimes slipping inside one helps me to quiet the mind, to contemplate for a few moments.

happy almost-you-know-what-day! ;)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The food at Morris East looks and sounds delicious! But I bet those plywood chairs are hard on the bum after a while.

Lawendula said...

You have such great photos on your blog! :) Happy new year 2u!

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...oooh that soup sounds divine. so sad about your neighbor...however, those with cherry dispositions and a smile will always be in our hearts...the cathedral is gorgeous...truly breathtaking...xo, mickey

Ronnie said...

Yummy beautifulness.

Sara said...

Oh, the sandwich sounds wonderful - and the so did the pizza. We don't have a Morris East here...darn! I think I would go often if we did.

Sorry about your friend...