Friday, January 22, 2010

surprise


Oh oh, I've been found out!


But can I stay?

I said yes:) This was a lovely basket that a friend had filled with boxes of tea as a gift for me and lined it with two exquisite pillow cases. I had just emptied out the tea and returned to find Monty curled up and comfy. How could I resist?

Made some soup yesterday. Perfectly warming for this frosty winter month. It was YUMMY! It makes a very sweet and spicy soup.

Jamie Oliver's Spicy Parsnip Ginger Soup (adapted)
2 T olive oil or coconut oil
knob of butter
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon garam masala ( Optional, an Indian spice) I love it.
6 parsnips, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 litre vegetable stock or chicken stock
500ml milk or coconut milk (2 cups)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
OPTIONAL:fresh red chili, deseeded and finely sliced ( I didn't use)
OPTIONAL: handful of fresh coriander leaves
• crusty bread, to serve

Heat a splash of olive oil and the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, ginger and garam masala. Gently fry for around 3 minutes, until fragrant. It will stick to the bottom of the pot a bit but don't worry, when you add the broth you scrape it up.
Drop in the chopped parsnip and stir together so that everything gets coated in the oil and flavours.
Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes with a lid on.
Add the milk at the end and if you don't want to that's ok, it's fine without:) I didn't add it.

After half an hour, check that the parsnips are cooked by sticking a knife in. If you’re happy, remove them from the heat and carefully whiz up using a hand blender or liquidizer. Taste the soup to see if it needs a little more salt or pepper.

Serve with a sprinkling of sliced red chili, a few coriander leaves if you like, and a good chunk of crusty bread.

12 comments:

OliveStreetStudio said...

what an adorable picture! He looks comfy and cozy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It doesn't take them long to discover and take advantage of a new comfy spot, does it?

Ronnie said...

Good ole Monty. He wanted to be the gift. Another great recipe. Thanks!

susanna said...

Awww...look at your little one! So cute! Is so funny how cats can find the most comfiest place in a room and immediately claim it as theirs. Mine usually chooses old cardboard boxes. Apparently, yours has better taste! :)

Hayley Egan said...

Yuuummy recipe!

Kate on Clinton said...

Oh yes, anything new, and lined and snug? My Lola and Mr. Beans strongly concur! The snugness makes it extra warm for them. And I love parsnips, but have never make them the basis of a soup before. I will definitely give that a try.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Monty looks very comfortable ---I'm sure he felt it was his basket..lol

Did I miss your BD? Hope it was av ery happy one!

Kim Mailhot said...

Monty looks marvelous in his basket. Is he a clean sheet kitty ? My big tabby Azzy loves anything fresh from the dryer.

Soup sounds good Maybe I will try and convince the hubby to make me a pot ! ;)
Have a great weekend !

Peg said...

Love the cat in the basket! Made a copy of the soup recipe. I think you could substitute butternut squash or even yams, but I love parsnips and will give it a go!
Peg in BC

Sara said...

Monty looks so cute! And, relaxed. You know we can spend a fortune for their toys - and they still pick our baskets, empty boxes, or our couch or bed.

hatjunkie said...

I recognize that look of Kitty guilt from my own feline buddy. Thanks for the recipe. I'll try anything from Jamie Olliver.

Finding Joy said...

Just love that photo - cats know how to look gorgeous ready to have their photos taken:)