Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday


This is the "before" picture. Practically ALL my shelves look like this! Ah, January...the month that triggers resolutions, good intentions and lots of great plans. Can you guess what I am starting? That is if I can get off this computer and not get distracted by something else. I find that when I tidy up anything with words, I start reading.... :) oh yeah, where was I? Takes forever!

Our storm is over! What an event that was. I don't think I've ever seen such change in so short time. Raining, then snowing hard, then ice pellets and back to snow, now it is mild and everything is melting. Wonder what is in store for next week? Crazy weather everywhere!

Gretchen Rubin is someone we can all learn something from. She just published a book called The Happiness Project. I 'd like to read it. Last year she test drove lots of theories about happiness and this book outlines what she discovered. One of the things I thought was interesting is that "random acts of kindness" don't work. People invariably end up suspicious and nervous. Better to help out a friend in need or help out as opportunities present themselves. Random scares people. Hmmm. Good stuff to ponder.

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, I always get the urge to clear clutter in January too. Must be a "new year" thing.

LoisW said...

I get the urge to escape somewhere south.... like by the equator, for about 3 months! I kinda like random acts of kindness. I helped a little old lady (because I plan on being one someday) walk across an icy parking lot and glad I did! When I went to get my grocery cart I realized I needed a quarter and didn't have one. She helped me by paying for my cart!! Fate put us together! Thank God!

aliceinparis said...

Hiya:) Helping the woman across the ice wasn't what they classified as "random", she needed help and you were there to give it:) That's good stuff. The stuff to definitely do. Things that pops up and you can do something about them. The researchers talking about random, meant stuff like paying for gas for the person behind you etc. Things that the person could not connect with. It was interesting to read.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks for the happiness Project blog link...very interesting!

I have to organize my books and papers this year....so much mess!

Suzie Ridler said...

Crazy weather indeed! Ugh!

Ronnie said...

Have fun, Shelagh. I too am inspired as I hang my new calendar to clear out and clean up. I wish us both much stamina and sticktoitness.
I'm heading to the happy link. Thanks!
Stay warm. If it's any consolation, it's in the 20's here today.

Marilyn said...

i *LOVED* Gretchen's book. highly recommend it.

The Bride said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Bride said...

I've read "The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom" several times. Jonathan Haidt is a psych professor. I find his insights very useful, and he quotes lots of good research. http://www.happinesshypothesis.com/