Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lemon Ginger Carrot Soup


This is the market I went to yesterday to pick up some bone meal for my daffodils. They are just revving up for the season:) I picked up some packets of seeds too, couldn't help myself. Soon the aisles will be filled with transplants of flowers and herbs.
I am planning on making this soup today. I got the recipe from the Home Grown Organics website where I get my veggie box each week. It sounds delicious! They serve it at the Kinloch Lodge Hotel in Scotland.

Lemon Ginger Carrot Soup

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/4 pounds medium carrots, peeled, chopped (about 3 cups)
2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 small carrot, peeled, grated
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 4 minutes. add ginger and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add chopped carrots, tomatoes and lemon peel; saute 1 minute. Add 3 cups stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
Puree soup in batches in blender. Return soup to pot. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.) Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired. Ladle into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with grated carrot and fresh parsley.

2 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...sounds yummy. i have not had carrot soup before, but this sounds like the best recipe...i received my bit of nova scotia print today and i love it. shelagh your work is so bright and delightful. thanks so much, mickey

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This sounds delicious Shelagh! I love soup.