Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Quiet on the set! "Rolling....."


Well, I got my fifteen minutes of fame yesterday:) Actually more like ten hours! I was an extra on the set of the remake of Ice Castles, the 1978 romantic drama starring Robbie Benson and Lynn Holly Johnson, Colleen Dewhurst , Tom Skerrit and Jennifer Warren.

I was ensconced with the judges and got to watch everything from a great perspective. We judges were also lucky because where we were situated,we could nip down off the dias during camera setups, pop under the stairs and grab a coffee at the Kraft table and whatever nibbles were available. That's one thing about movies sets....there is always tons of food available. It breaks up the tedium and when folk are working long hours, it is easy to stay fueled.
I had a marvelous time chatting with three sisters who arrived to be part of the crowd and were also nabbed into becoming judges. You can see two of them in the above picture.

Here is Rob Meyes the male lead, Donald Wrye the director and the continuity lady with script in hand and pencil at the ready. This new movie is called Ice Castles2 for the moment. Figure skater Taylor Firth is the star in Donald Wrye's remake. He was the original director and is doing it again.

Taylor being coached for a scene by David Wilson, choreographer extraordinaire
The love story is set in the world of competitive figure skating and also stars Rob Mayes, Henry Czerny ( had a coffee next to him) and figure skater Molly Oberstar. Olympic medalist Michelle Kwan appears in a cameo in the film. She and Sandra Bezic are commentators.

An emotional scene after her competitive solo where she trips over the bears and flowers thrown on the ice, her boy "friend" rushes out to help her.....she is blind.... audience didn't know but figures it out quickly. Ahhh, the moment we have all been waiting for, true love prevails.

They have been shooting for a week and will continue for another week at various locations. The yellow direction signs with IC written on them are everywhere in this city at the moment.

10 comments:

Ronnie said...

Hey! How lucky and exciting! I have a weeks worth of catching up to do on your blog. Can't miss a day of Adventures of Shelagh in a small town in Canada!

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

Wow...what a fun, but long day! My youngest Joey really wants to be an actor...I will be sure that he reads your post:)

Sally said...

Cool... I loved that old movie... and I was telling my family about it the other day... One of the reasons I wanted to come and live here in Nova Scotia (real winters)-- and that scene of her skating outside on a frozen pond, enjoying nature was so indellibly marked in my head as romantic... from all those years ago... and Robbie Benson... ooohhhhh dreamy (my age is showing).

Sara said...

Oh, how fun! You must have had a great time - even though it was a very long day! I'll have to look for the movie when it comes out! Maybe I'll get to see you on the big screen!!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Ahhh ..what fun Shelagh! I've always wanted to be a movie extra! I told my husband when he retires we are going to join SAG and try to get extra roles together when they film in New York.

Sounds like a wonderful movie!

Christina Silverio said...

How exciting! You know, I don't think I ever saw the original. But now I'll have to check it out. :)
Sounds like a long day but well worth it!

Kathy said...

How cool is that! The movie "Ground Hog Day" was filmed in a town near us. One of my kids got to go with a friend's family to watch filming. I never went. The crowds were unreal!

Can't wait to see the movie!!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Oh wow, What a wonderful experience. you are so lucky to get to see the other side of things.

Anne said...

Hi, Shelagh! What fun! Sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing some sneak peeks with us! :-)

Jennifer said...

A remake of Ice Castles? How did I not know about this? I LOVED that movie! I made my parents buy me a piano and lessons because of the theme song. How fun that you are a part of it. I can't wait to see the new version.